House with Many Doors

 HOUSE WITH MANY DOORS
Carol Sheppard
6/23/2020

I live in a house with many doors.
Some are open. Some are closed
Behind each door is a room of light,
or darkness, of varying degrees,
From brightness as blinding as the sun
 to a darkness blacker than a night
with no stars in the deepest forest. 

Just when I’m complacent, I think
I’ve seen every door; been in every room,
a dim light shines down a new hall,  
or on an undiscovered door.
Sometimes, if under the door is very black,
I’m frozen in fear, afraid to open it.
I retreat to the familiar, but am haunted.

I don’t live alone in this house with many doors  
Sometimes it feels like I do, and I forget to 
to ask someone to walk with me down 
these dark halls, & walk through each new door.
It is my house; behind every door, a secret; 
every darkness faced; every ray of light realized,
Behind each new door is freedom.

Comments

Popular Posts